High Seas Commander
High Seas Commander

Najbitnije stvari koje morate znati o Startnim Efektima

Post by stalker »

The Basics: Starting Effects

Originalan text preuzet sa dole navedenog sajta

http://www.decktech.net/starwarsccg/art ... 300&view=2

Overall Rating: (5.00)
Author: SWCCG "Writing" Team (Subscribe to this member)
Date Submitted: January 2, 2006
Benjamin D. Kline, SWCCG Writing Team

Since Reflections III a starting effect has been a staple in every deck, both DS and LS. And since Reflections III, two more starting effects have been released. The starting effects available for the Light Side are: *An Unusual Amount of Fear (released in Reflections III), Ineffective Maneuver[v] (released in Virtual Set 5), and finally *Thrown Back[v] (released in Virtual Set. For Dark Side, the starting effects are: *Fear is My Ally (released in Reflections III), Sudden Impact[v] (released in Virtual Set 5), and *Drop![v] (released in Virtual Set.

Originally with the release of the first starting effects in Reflections III (when Defensive Shields were released as well) starting effects could only be used in conjunction with one type of card, Defensive Shields. In Reflections III (Ref3) 18 shields were released for both sides, and the starting effects each could start with up to 10 cards (at that time, only shields could be played from beneath them) beneath them, and only 3 could be played per game. Since Ref3, we now have, for DS: 23 shields and for LS: 21 shields. To help with those newer players who might not know what the three starting effects do, I will list the game-text for the Light Side starting effects here (since both DS and LS effects are basically the same, I won't list the DS ones as well):

*An Unusual Amount of Fear [0]
Starting Effect [EP1]
Before any starting cards are revealed, deploy on table with up
to 10 cards from outside your deck face-down under here. Cards
under here do not count toward your deck limit. Three times per
game, may play a Defensive Shield from here, as if from hand.

Ineffective Maneuver[v] [3]
Starting Effect
Before any starting cards are revealed, deploy on table with up
to 5 cards from outside your deck face-down under here. Cards
under here do not count toward your deck limit. Thrice times per
game, may lose 2 Force to play a Defensive Shield from here, as
if from hand. Permanent weapons do not cause forfeit = 0;
characters hit by them are forfeit -3.

*Thrown Back[v] [3]
Starting Effect [EP1]
Deploy on table with up to 12 Defensive Shields (that do not count
against your deck limit) from outside your deck face-down under
here. 4 times per game you may play a card from here as if from
hand. While Yoda not on Dagobah, each attempt to deploy a card from
Reserve Deck or take a card into hand from Reserve Deck (after the
first in a turn) allows a player's opponent to draw the top card of their
Reserve Deck and/or activate 1 force.

The biggest things to note (in the differences between the cards) is:

*An Unusual Amount of Fear: [EP1] 10 cards underneath. Any kind of card. 3 shields per game.
Ineffective Maneuver[v]: Classic legal. 5 cards beneath. 3 shields per game. Anti-permanent weapon game-text. *Thrown Back[v]: [EP1] 12 shields beneath. 4 shields per game. / and / game text.

The biggest thing to note, if you want your deck to take advantage of the starting effect and the cards beneath it for purposes of cards other-than defensive shields, your options are either *An Unusual Amount of Fear or Ineffective Maneuver[v], as *Thrown Back[v] will only allow you to place shields underneath the starting effect. (The same is true with the DS counterparts, *Drop![v] does not allow anything other than shields beneath it, where as *Fear is My Ally and Sudden Impact[v] allow for non-shield cards to be placed beneath it.) Currently, there is a very short list of cards that can be placed underneath a starting effect, and that actually can be played from beneath it:

^Defensive Shields
^Interrupts
^Creatures
^"Grabbers"
^Devices (for DS)
^Death Star: Trench (for LS)
^Proton Torpedoes (for LS)
^Attack Run (for LS)
^Nebulon-B Frigate (for LS)
^Mon Calamari starship (for LS)

The first card introduced that allowed non-shield cards to be played from beneath the Starting Effect was: Advanced Preparation[v], released in Virtual Set 3. Advanced Preparation[v] allowed (once per game) for the Light Side player to deploy Death Star: Trench, Attack Run, and/or Proton Torpedoes from beneath the starting effect. This was obviously made as a helper for MBO (Massassi Base Operations).

It opened up 3 deck slots (Attack Run, Proton Torpedoes, and Death Star: Trench) in exchange for a destiny 6 interrupt that can be recycled easily, and even allows the player to retrieve 1 force, (lost portion), or any 1 card to be retrieved if they have One in A Million on table (i.e. flipping their objective).

The next cards introduced that allowed non-shields to be played were: Krayt Dragon Bones[v] for Dark Side, and Tauntaun Bones[v] for Light Side, both released in Virtual Set 4, which allowed creatures to be played from beneath the starting effect. The only catch was that the creatures had to be ferocious (a new term that coincided with the release of these cards), the effect also made your ferocious creatures deploy -2 and ferocity +2, and then twice per game allowed you to deploy a ferocious creature from reserve deck. The LS effect, Tauntaun Bones[v] also had the added bonus of allowing the player to deploy Tauntauns from beneath the starting effect. Both effects limited it to 2 creatures allowed from beneath the starting effect.

In Virtual Set 6, Levitation Attack[v] was released (for DS), which allowed you (as the DS player) to deploy 2 devices (for free) from beneath your starting effect. Since it was a used interrupt (destiny 4), you could play it multiple times per game, as long as you had multiple devices underneath your starting effect.

In Virtual Set 8, an immediate effect was released, which allowed the Light Side player to deploy either a Nebulon-B Frigate or a Mon Calamari starship from beneath their starting effect, this immediate effect (designed by David Destefanis) is titled: The Time For Our Attack Has Come[v]. The relevant text from this card is: "If you just deployed or moved a second piloted Rebel starfighter to a system, you may immediately deploy one Nebulon-B Frigate or Mon Calamari ship there from under your Starting Effect and place this card on that ship." Due to it being an immediate effect, it is pullable by Don't Do That Again (a defensive shield). This immediate effect
is most likely the more unique of the non-shield "getters" in the game, as its only either a Nebulon-B Frigate (most likely Redemption[v]) or a Mon Calamari starship (most likely Home One).
And finally, in Virtual Set 11, two cards for each side, both LS and DS, were introduced that allowed non-shields to be played. For each side an Interrupt and an effect were introduced. Let's first start with the interrupts: I Don't Need Their Scum Either[v] for LS, and for DS it was Cold Feet[v]. Both interrupts have the same game-text: "Take a 'grabber' into hand (or play a Defensive Shield) from under your starting effect." (The rest of both interrupts are massive bullet cards that target numerous different cards, for DS it targets numerous AitC cards, and for LS it targets numerous different Scum cards.) "Grabbers" is a new term introduced in V-11, which means any card that grabs an opponent's card.

These cards are:
For LS:
^Strikeforce[v]
^A Tragedy Has Occurred
^A Tragedy Has Occurred (Defensive Shield)
^What're You Trying to Push On Us
^Grappling Hook
^Grappling Hook[v]

For DS:
^Something Special Planned For Them[v]
^Allegations of Corruption
^Allegations of Corruption (Defensive Shield)
^They'll Be heck To Pay
^Tentacle
^Tentacle[v]

With the use of the interrupts Cold Feet[v] or I Don't Need Their Scum Either[v] the player can pick from any of these to deploy from beneath their starting effect, OR they can play a Defensive Shield (a great way to recycle the used interrupt). Also with the use of this interrupt, it allows you to get around your 3 per game limit on An Unusual Amount of Fear, or Fear is My Ally. (NOTE: You will have to play the interrupt AFTER you already have 3 shields in play to be able to play a 4th shield in this fashion.)

The other cards introduced in this set are, I've Lost Artoo![v] for Dark Side, and Meditation[v] for Light Side. These effects deploy for 2 force on table (and are not immune to alter, so they are not startable, where as Krayt Dragon Bones[v] and Tauntaun Bones[v] were startable). (They have exactly the same game-text, so if I refer to these effects, I might end up referring to one of them, but know that it would work the same for the opposite side). They both allow you to once per game use 1 force to play an interrupt (the interrupt cannot be Sense, Alter, or Control, which also means the combo versions, such as Control & Set for Stun or Control & Tunnel Vision or Sense & Uncertain is the Future), from beneath your starting effect, then place the interrupt out of play. This opens up numerous opportunities for both sides.

Players can use these effects to enhance their deck's strategy, or use these effects as defensive bastion, including bullet cards such as Boring Conversation Anyway, Point Man, Dead Ewok[v], Cold Feet[v], or you could even use it as a quick fix damage boost with a surprise hidden Limited Resources. But be weary, your interrupts can be canceled/sensed, or anything else to modify them, and you do have to pay all costs for them, on top of the 1 force to use the effect's game text. A good combo for the Dark Side, is I've Lost Artoo![v] in conjunction with Sim Aloo[v] to make any interrupt from beneath the starting effect for free, so long as you save 1 force for the effect, you could surprise your opponent with just about anything, like Imperial Barrier for example.

Considering all of the different shields, interrupts, creatures, and devices (for DS) or Nebulon-B Frigates/Mon Calamari starships/Proton Torpedoes/Death Star: Trench/Attack Runs (for LS), there is literally hundreds of possibilities of what could be underneath yours or your opponent's starting effect. Although if your opponent is playing Drop![v] or Thrown Back[v] you don't have as much to worry about since all they could have beneath it is Defensive Shields, although they can play up to 4 of them, and they will be able to activate 1 force and draw 1 force for each / (upload) or / (download) after the first in a turn, you should still be prepared, especially with Cold Feet[v] and I Don't Need Their Scum Either[v] out in circulation now, which could allow them to play up to all 12 of their defensive shields if they cycle through and keep getting the interrupt, especially since Cold Feet[v] is non-unique (I Don't Need Their Scum Either[v] is unique however).

So in conclusion, there is numerous ways now to pack your starting effects, so make sure you use them to your full advantage to help aid (or help defend) your decks. With each passing set, the choices of what to include underneath your starting effect, and then in the game which cards to play will grow increasingly tougher, with 23 shields for DS, and 21 shields for LS, with (most likely) more shields in the future, you will have to be prepared for the meta, and it will become increasingly tougher to decide what goes in and what doesn't. So make sure to study your meta and pick wisely!

---Benjamin D. Kline

Return to “Star Wars i Pirates”