Hybrid FAQ '07

Sve o Rackhamovim fantazijskim igrama (Confrontation, Hybrid, Rag'narok i Cadwallon)

Moderator: Moderators

Ko, jel' ja?

Hybrid FAQ '07

Post by Ko, jel' ja? »

Hybrid FAQ (translated from French) including errata from Nemesis and shared conclusions by the members of the Rackham Hybrid Forum.

GLOSSARY

Base: each fighter is mounted on a base. There are four sizes of bases grouped into three categories;
 standard bases (25 x 25mm)
 cavalry bases (25 x 50mm)
 large bases (37.5 x 37.5mm and 50 x 50mm)
These bases occupy 1, 2 and 4 squares respectively. With the lone exception of Sasia Samaris (Rank 3), no large-based fighter can fit through a single-width door. Regardless, all large-based fighters occupy 4 squares.

Base-To-Base Contact: any time a fighter’s base is adjacent to another fighter or an element of the scenery the fighter is in base-to-base contact. Fighters and scenery that are diagonally across from one another are not in base-to-base contact.

Zone: unless specifically stated otherwise, the term zone refers to an entire tile on the mission board for the purposes of applying Events and effects.

Basics and Terminology

Profiles and visible equipment on a figurine
Q: Can the Hybrid figurine that does not appear to have a crossbow on the model still use it?
A: Yes, in all cases use the profile on each card regardless of how the figurine is depicted.

Errata: The NV of each figurine is printed under the fighter’s illustration on each Hybrid Reference Profile card.

General Unclear Issue (Player Clarification) The English cards often say "direct contact". The French originals use the much better "contact socle à socle" or "base-to-base contact" instead.

General Rules
Calculating the Success Level (Errata): The correct formula for the Success Level is: Success Level (SL) = Natural Value (NV) – the attacker’s current number of wounds (-1/wound) + all modifiers (+/- modifiers).
Example: a Seneschal with two wounds in Firing Mode/1 (Basic) wants to attack a Hybrid: SL of 3 or less on a d10 = 4 (NV) -2 (wounds) + 1 (Combined Weapon, Firing /+1).

Fixed and Variable Target Numbers (Player Clarification): Any Natural Roll with a designated target number such as the Griffin Exorcist’s Nullify Aptitude or the Combined Attack Aptitude test cannot be modified by Action cards or game effects.
Unless a designated target number is provided or the text indicates that the SL cannot be modified, apply the NV of the effected fighter and all relevant modifiers to determine the SL before rolling dice for the test.

Perfect Success
Q: If a Perfect Success is rolled on a Combined Attack does the target suffer an additional wound?
A: Yes, unless specifically stated otherwise, a Perfect Success always inflicts an additional wound.

Angle of Vision (Errata): The angle of vision for a fighter is of 90°, as it is indicated on the diagrams. The reference on page 20 (Firing mode) is a typo.

Novice Strike (player clarification): This level of mastery allows you to ignore one wound, not all wounds when determining the SL of an attack.

Activation Sequence FAQ
Q: If one of my fighters is killed BEFORE they are activated, is their place in the Activation Sequence "lost" or it is replaced with the next fighter in my squad?
A: When a fighter is killed before it is activated, the following fighter from the same squad takes his place in the order of Activation.

Q: If I have 4 fighters, do I have to use counters 1 to 4, or I can choose between counters 1 to 10? For example: If I want absolutely to be the last, then I want to put counters 7, 8, 9 and 10 to be sure that my adversary is the first to activate his troops...
A: The ability to choose which side takes the first Activation is decided at the beginning of each round (Activation Roll). From that point each side alternates Activations until each fighter has been activated. You may not pass on any Activation and taking higher number counters will have no effect because each side organizes its Activations independently each round beginning with number 1 up to the total number of fighters you have at the start of the round.

Movement FAQ
Q: The highlighted rule on page 16: “…a warrior cannot leave an opponent just to return into base-to-base contact with him on another square in one Movement.” What does it mean?
A: This is a means of preventing circumstances where fighters break contact, only to reinitiate contact and possibly trigger a game effect (such as an Event or objective) or gain advantageous positioning in an overly elaborate manner and thus detract from the game play.

Q: If an adversary is in front of a door or a single-width opening, can I pass diagonally through that door? For Example:
_A_
X
My fighter is X, can it pass through the door and past the adversary A?
A: No, with one possible exception, a combatant cannot pass a solid obstruction such as a wall or door opening and an adversary at the same time. However, in this example, if the active fighter declared a Novice Maneuver (Mv/2), the fighter could ignore any adversary that is not; a Titan, or is not in Defensive Combat mode. Regardless, the normal penalty of -1 movement for moving diagonally past an element of scenery would still apply.

Action Modes FAQ

Offensive Combat Mode
Q: Are figurines touching diagonally considered to be in base-to-base contact, thus allowing them to attack each other?
A: No to both questions, fighters are only considered to be in base-to-base contact if one of the figurines base’s entire facing is in contact with another figurine’s base. Furthermore, a figurine can only attack another figurine that is in base-to-base contact with its own front facing. In order to be more explicit, here an example:

X
OA
X

Here A can only strike O, which is in base-to-base provided that A’s front facing is in contact with O. Both X’s are not in base-to-base contact with A.

Note: The wording of this answer accounts for figurines with different size bases. Specifically large bases and cavalry bases can be in contact with more than one figurine along the same facing.

Firing Mode
Q: It seems to me that I can only declare Skilled Firing if the active fighter does not have any enemy fighters in his line of sight...But if the active fighter had an enemy in his line of sight at the start of his Activation, and then moves away so that at the end of his movement he is out of line of sight, can I then declare Skilled Firing?
A: Yes, with the exception of Maneuver mode each fighter’s Mastery level is declared after the active fighter has moved.

Q: Can a fighter shoot through his troops in any Mastery Level other than Expert Firing?
A: No, only Expert Firing allows a fighter to target another fighter when there are any intervening fighters along the LOS.

Q: When targeting a cavalry-based or large-based figurines in Firing mode, how much of the target base has to be within my fighter’s LOS in order to get the +1 modifier?
A: Clarification: fighters noted as Titans on their Reference Profile card and figurines mounted on a large base always gives a fighter in Firing mode a +1 modifier. Cavalry-based figurines that are not Titans do not confer a +1 modifier, but as long as you have an unobstructed line of sight to one square the target cavalry or large-based figurine occupies there is no -1 modifier for obstructing terrain.

Cards FAQ and Errata

EVENT CARDS
Deceit (Player Clarification): The instructions at the beginning of this card should read as follows:
"This card is played when you activate one of your figurines. It immediately trades (or swaps) places with another friendly figurine if the following conditions can be met:…"

Luck (Player Clarification): The instructions on this card should read as follows:
“Announce the use of this card before rolling the dice for a test. Luck is on your side and increases your chance of success. Add one additional die to the roll. After reviewing the rolled dice remove any one die and apply the result, however, you may not remove a Critical Failure result.”

Momentary Madness (Player Errata): The instructions on the card should read as follows:
“Play this card when your adversary activates a figurine of Rank 1 or less. The figurine in question is temporarily under your control for the entire round. You must immediately choose its Action mode and carry out its Activation as if it were one of your own fighters. It can be ordered to attack, fire or use its Aptitudes upon its original allies. It cannot however be forced to attack itself.”
Note: This rewording specifically allows a player to take control of a Pest of Flesh and Sacrifice it against another fighter.

Superior Strategy (Errata): The instructions at the bottom of the card should read as follows:
“This card is played at the start of the round just before the Activation Roll, which you automatically win. It cannot be countered in any way and is then discarded.”

ARMY EVENT TRIGGERS
First Contact
Q: If I have a fighter that sees an adversary, but none of the adversaries can see any of my fighters, does anyone draw for First Contact?
A: No, both sides should wait until at least one fighter from both sides can spot at least one enemy fighter. This will trigger First Contact, both sides then draw an Army Event Card

First Blood
Q: Page 26, “A player draws his second Army Event card when one of his fighters has been withdrawn from the board for the first time” Am I to infer that the Army Event cards are always picked at the same time by all the players?
A: Yes, the two players draw at the same time for Army Event cards, for both First Contact and First Blood.

Q: Can I Sacrifice a Pest of Flesh before the First Contact to draw the Army Event Card associated with "First Blood"?
A: No to both, First Contact always occurs before First Blood, even if this happen in the same figurine Activation and the Sacrifice Aptitude cannot trigger First Blood.

ARMY EVENT CARDS
Corporeal Instability (Player Errata): The instructions at the bottom of the card should read as follows:
"Should it succeed, its force will be multiplied tenfold and it will benefit from a +2 modifier in Offensive and Defensive Combat. These modifiers automatically replace the Equipment noted on the figurine’s reference card."

The Clones’ Fury (Player Errata): The 2nd paragraph of the instructions should read as follows:
"Furthermore, every affected clone in Offensive Combat mode is given the chance to re-roll their dice rolls until the end of the round. This is only applicable if the first roll did not result in a Critical Failure."

AURA CARDS (Player Clarification): None of the cards which refer to Venerable Ambrosius are specifically reserved for him; any fighter with the Aura Aptitude can use any of the Aura cards.

Aura of Vengeance (Errata): Replace the third sentence with the following:
"Any friendly figure, wishing to attack an enemy warrior that is located within the Aura, benefits from a +1 modifier in the Offensive Combat mode."

Aura of Renunciation (Errata): Replace the third sentence with the following:
"Should they fail, they will be immediately moved outside the affected zone, to an adjacent square of your choice."

MUTATION CARDS
Purulent Excrescence (Player Clarification): The text should be interpreted as follows:
“This Mutation can be played at any time, even before the Activation of an enemy figurine, and remains active until the end of the game. The affected fighter's skin is covered with purulent excrescences filled with a revolting liquid that immediately causes a Wound to the chosen fighter when this Mutation is applied.
If an opponent in Offensive Combat wounds this fighter, the purulent excrescences burst spraying the attacker with the liquid. The attacker must make an unmodified Natural Roll or he suffers a wound. Furthermore, if this fighter loses his last NV point after any attack in base-to-base combat, his opponent automatically suffers a Wound. Regardless, each fighter sprayed with the Purulent Excrescence Mutation cannot lose more than one NV point due to this Mutation’s effect in a single game.”

Steel Tendons (Errata): Replace the first sentence with the following:
"Only a figure with a Natural Value of 3 or more can posses this mutation."

Muscular Hypertrophy (Errata): Replace the second sentence with the following:
"He benefits from a +1 modifier to his Offensive Combat value and a +1 modifier on all Natural Rolls related to the OC mode."

Biomechanical Shell (Errata): Replace the second sentence with the following:
"Once per game and until the end of the round, at the moment of his activation, a figure equipped with a biomechanical shell can use it for his complete protection."

Aptitudes FAQ

Brutish Force/X
Q: The Aberration strikes a Griffin fighter. This fighter should normally be pushed back two squares, but another Griffin fighter is positioned directly behind it. Does the defending Griffin move backwards through the next fighter because it is a friendly fighter or does it suffer two wounds?
A: The target fighter cannot move backwards and he suffers two wounds, as if the fighter’s back was against a wall.

Combined Attack/X
Q: My wounded Seneschal is in Offensive Combat mode performing a Master Strike (rolling 2d10). I want to make a Combined Attack. Do I use the Success Level conditions of the first attack (current SL, Master Strike, 2d10) for the Combined Attack?
A: When making a Combined Attack, the additional attack is based on rolling against the attacker’s initial NV on a single die, without any modifiers. In this example, after resolving the Master Strike, the Success Level of the additional attack by a Seneschal (Combined Attack/3) is always a result of 4 or less on a single d10.

Frenzy/X
Q: The Aberration has inflicted three wounds on the Seneschal. Later in the same round a Pest of Flesh is sacrificed to inflict a fourth wound, killing the Seneschal. Can the Aberration claim the Frenzy modifier?
A: No, Frenzy can only be claimed if the attacker inflicts the last wound on the target fighter.

Infiltration/X
Q: My Skorize Warrior uses his Infiltration/4 in Offensive Combat mode to attack an enemy fighter from behind. He makes a Skilled Strike (OC/3) and for his first attack obtains a Perfect Success (2 wounds) and his second attack is a normal success (one wound). If his opponent is killed, does the Skorize Warrior lose the Infiltration Aptitude?
A: Yes, once the Skorize Warrior engages in an attack the enemy fighter profits from a "line of sight" on the Skorize Warrior. He consequently loses his Infiltration Aptitude, even if he manages to eliminate his target during this Activation.

Additional stuff
This section is a resource map for things I know about and own that fall outside the Hybrid and Nemesis rules or require the ownership of various magazines and supplements.

As should be fairly obvious Hybrid cannot be played properly without a copy of the game at your disposal, but there are so many additional things available it seemed like a good idea to list them.

Missions
At last count (end of 2006) there are about 75 different missions available for Hybrid, many of which are conducted in the campaign mode. More are published each year.

A few questions come up from time to time, so I do my best to note them. Some errors were noted in the original published missions as well.

Deployment
As a general rule, if a figurine’s deployment zone is not indicated in a mission, then use a zone of a higher rank. If this zone is full, then the figurine is placed on an adjacent square. Example: In the “Return to Glasinhar” mission, any rank 2 Scorpions figurines are to be deployed in the rank 3 deployment zone.

Corrections
Page 10 of the Nemesis book features several layout specific diagrams to correct a number of missions from the Hybrid book. Please refer to the Nemesis book to double check your layout before playing:
 Return to Glasinhar
 The Scarlet Hive
 The Heresiarch’s Prison
 Prowlers!
 The Scorpion’s Venom
 The Heroes’ Twilight

Strategy
Cry Havoc 3 features;
 “A Forced Passage” a Hybrid Battle Report,
 “Keep an Eye Open…” covers LOS issues.
 “You’ll Never Get Me!” covers Defensive Combat Mode.

Optional Play
CH-Gaming Aid Vol. 3 features;
 “Against The Laboratory” now the Laboratory can fight against both sides.
 “Into The Heart of Darkness” creates havoc with variable lighting conditions.
 “Massively Multiplayer” provides two modes of play for groups of players.
CH-Gaming Air Vol. 6 features;
 “The Right Stuff” a RPG mode for Hybrid fighters and a special campaign.
Cry Havoc 10 features;
 “Out in the Open” Hybrid ventures outside with new rules for using the Cadwallon Reversible Gaming tiles.

Extra Resources
Each issue of Cry Havoc has excellent articles related to the world of Aarklash as do the rest of the Rackham games. The following issues have articles specific to Hybrid. Note that the Gaming Aid Volumes were issued with their respective magazines and each of them has Hybrid content.
Cry Havoc 1 (scenery workshop)
Cry Havoc 2 (scenery workshop)
Cry Havoc 3 (game report and tactics)
Cry Havoc 9 (mission)
Cry Havoc 10 (new rules and missions)
Cry Havoc 11 (missions)

As mentioned above the Gaming Aids have excellent content and additional materials, they are all highly recommended:
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 1 (new cards and missions)
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 2 (new cards and a campaign)
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 3 (new cards, an additional tile, missions, new rules and reference material)
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 4 (new cards, a mission and a campaign)
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 5 (new card, a mission and campaigns)
CH-Gaming Aid vol. 6 (new cards, a campaign and new RPG rules with a campaign)

Cadwallon Reversible Gaming Tile sets, for use with the “Out in the Open” rules
A and B – The Lower City
C and D – The Upper City

These magazines supported Hybrid with additional missions:
Harbinger Magazine (English) #6, 7, 9, 10, 12-15
Imagination Magazine (German) #3
Ravage Magazine (French) #20, 21, 23, 24

APTITUDES (consolidated with errata)
Aptitudes represent the various fighters’ special capabilities. An Aptitude is either a learned ability or an innate talent that, while it might vary in aspect from one fighter to the next, always manifests itself in the same way in the game.

Some Aptitudes are passive (always active) while others have a timing requirement, temporary influence or limited use and need to be activated before they can be used. These are “optional” Aptitudes.

In this case, announce which Aptitude you want your fighter to use. Once declared, an optional Aptitude cannot be withdrawn. Some Aptitudes are followed by a “/X”. The X is replaces by a value that figures on the relevant fighter’s Reference Profile card.

ARMOUR-PIERCING SHOT/X – When in Firing Mode, once per round, after successfully hitting their target this fighter can target a second enemy up to X squares away from their initial target. The following additional criteria apply when attempting to use this Aptitude;
 If the 1st target is a Titan, OR any other fighter in DC mode facing the attacker, an Armour-Piercing Shot cannot be attempted,
 The 2nd target must be in this fighter’s Angle of Vision, and
 The 2nd target cannot be closer than the 1st target.
If the above conditions can be met the following rules apply to the 2nd shot;
 When making the 2nd shot, the 1st target does not obstruct the line of sight to the 2nd, and
 Any Action cards used to modify the 1st shot have no effect on the 2nd shot.

AURA/X – An Aura is effective over X squares surrounding this fighter, and affects all of the fighters within this area, but, unless specifically stated otherwise, it does not benefit this fighter themselves. Note:
 The Aura effect is not blocked by intervening terrain.
 This fighter may only use one Aura at a time and may choose to change or maintain an Aura each time they are activated.
 The Aura of Power is an exception in that it affects the Aura range of this fighter and can be used in conjunction with another Aura during each Activation.

BRUTISH STRENGTH/X – When this fighter attacks in Offensive Combat mode and succeeds in the attack, the opponent must retreat straight back X squares, even if the opponent is not wounded. Note:
 In the case of several successful attacks this effect is not cumulative.
 If the opponent cannot fall back for any reason (terrain or any other fighter) the opponent suffers a wound for each square they were unable to retreat.

COMBINED ATTACK/X – Each game this fighter may make up to X number of extra attacks when in Offensive Combat mode, a maximum of one per round. Note:
 Before rolling the OC attack, you must announce this Aptitude.
 After resolving the initial attack, the fighter may make one additional attack.
 If the opponent is killed by the original OC attack, this additional attack is lost.
 The SL of a Combined Attack is a Fixed Roll equal to the fighter’s starting NV.
 A fighter in DC mode cannot parry a Combined Attack.

CONVICTION/X – If this fighter is within 8 squares of the squad leader (fighter with Aura, highest rank, or highest NV, in that order), they benefits from a +X modifier to all of their SL when in Offensive and Defensive Combat mode. Note:
 If the squad leader is eliminated all Conviction modifiers are immediately cancelled.
 Like an Aura this Aptitude is not affected by intervening terrain.

DORSAL PROTECTION/X – This Aptitude cancels the +1 modifier for being attacked from behind and, in addition, the attacker incurs a -X modifier if they attack this fighter from behind in base-to-base combat.

DUELIST/X – A fighter with this Aptitude obtains a Perfect Success in Offensive Combat and Firing mode on a Natural Roll of X or less.

EYE OF THE LYNX/X – This fighter’s Line of Sight and range in Firing mode is increased by X squares.

FELON/X – This fighter adds a +X modifier to the +1 modifier when attacking from behind in Offensive Combat mode.

FRENZY/X – This fighter is rewarded with a +X modifier for each opponent they eliminate in base-to-base combat. Note:
 This modifier is cumulative until the end of the game, however,
 it only applies to the SL for Offensive and Defensive Combat modes

INFILRATION/X – At the end of each round this fighter gains X additional Mt points. Note:
 This fighter is considered to be in the same mode as when they were activated.
 If this fighter is in Maneuver mode they may use Infiltration to open doors without movement penalties.
 If there are multiple fighters with Infiltration their moves are resolved in the order of Activation.
 A fighter loses the Infiltration Aptitude for the rest of the game as soon as they enter an enemy fighter’s line of sight or attempt an attack.

INVISIBLE/X – This Aptitude generates X counters of Disquieting Presence. The simultaneous use of these counters on the game board simulates the uncertainty that reigns as to this fighter’s exact location. All of these counters, except one are decoys, the last one representing the fighter’s real position.

At the start of the game all Disquieting Presence counters are placed onto this fighter’s location. During the game:
 They move independently, but are activated and moved at the same time.
 A counter’s hidden side is revealed when an enemy fighter has a line of sight onto it.
 If it is a decoy, then the counter is discarded. If not, then all of the fighter’s decoy counters are discarded and the position counter is replaced with the corresponding figurine, facing the way the player controlling it wishes.
 As long as this fighter remains invisible, they ignore doors by passing through them.
 An invisible figurine on a large base cannot move through a single-width door or passage.
If this fighter is not in the line of sight of any enemy fighter when they are activated, then all of the Disquieting Presence counters replace the figurine again.

LEADER (X)/Y – When any X fighter is located within Y squares or less of this fighter, and has a line of sight onto him, then X fighter gains a +1 modifier for Offensive Combat and Firing mode.

MUTATION/X – This fighter may be given up to X number of Mutation cards during the course of a game.

POSSESSED/X - when a fighter who has this Aptitude uses the OC mode, they ignores the modifiers of X wounds when calculating the SL.

PRESTIGE/X – This fighter benefits from a +X modifier on their SL in all Action modes. Note: this Aptitude is lost as soon as this fighter suffers a wound.

PUNY – Puny fighters are either very small or weak. The following rules affect Puny Fighters:
 This fighter cannot open doors.
 Puny fighters do not suffer movement penalties when moving diagonally through doorways, past walls and other fighters.
 Puny fighters can only obstruct line of sight to other puny fighters.
 Puny fighters cannot be targeted by Expert Firing if they are behind a standard or large-based fighter

REGENERATION/X – At the end of their Activation, this fighter can attempt to regenerate, make a Fixed Roll; on a result of X or less this fighter heals one wound.

SACRIFICE/X – This fighter may sacrifice themselves to wound one enemy fighter that they are in base-to-base contact with. Note:
 To use this Aptitude this fighter must select Basic Maneuver (Mv/1) and end their move, or start their Activation, in base-to-base contact with an enemy fighter.
 Remove this fighter and apply X wounds to the opponent.
 A fighter in Defensive Combat mode cannot parry a Sacrifice attack.
 Sacrifice does not count as First Blood nor does it allow you to draw an Action card for this fighter’s death.

TITAN – This Fighter is subject to the following rules: a Titan may;
 Knock down a door instead of opening it, the door may not be closed again.
 Ignore fallen rock terrain, treating it as a normal square for all purposes.
 Additionally, Titans;
o Always confer a +1 modifier when targeted by enemies in Firing mode; this modifier is not cumulative for the large-based fighters’ modifier.
o Cannot move diagonally, but they can quarter-turn once per forward square movement for free.
o Can only use passages and doors wide enough for them to pass through.
o Prevent a fighter from using Expert Firing (F/4) to target a fighter behind a Titan.
o Also prevent an enemy fighter from using Novice Maneuver when attempting to move through enemies,
 unless the enemy fighter is a Titan themselves.
o Cannot be affected by Skilled or Expert Maneuvers.

VELOCITY/X – This fighter;
 Confers a –X modifier when being shot at,
 Ignores the -1 Mt cost for moving through fallen rock squares, and
 Ignores trapdoors as long as they do not end their movement on a trapdoor or are forced onto a trapdoor by any other game effect.
Hristy

Post by Hristy »

Aaaaa... preprichacesh mi ovo u klubu, mrzi me da chitam :roll:
I don't care,
I'm still free,
You can't take the sky from me!
slayer king

Post by slayer king »

Osecam, da je Dirz sad samo more broken :twisted: ..........
opsidiannight wrote:Čitaj moje postove, šećeru.

Return to “Confrontation”