Hungarian Masters 2016 [Brief Battle Reports]

Moderators: TheSerbianRaven, Rick, Dzon Vejn

Rick

Hungarian Masters 2016 [Brief Battle Reports]

Post by Rick »

Last Sunday saw the first ever Hungarian Masters in Budapest. As a spur of the moment decision Nemanja and I jumped in the car and went. It was a fantastic event, played in a really good spirit and with really great guys. I can’t really go into too much depth on everything but the highlights and points of interest were;
• The pressganger was amazing. Very well organised and got great prize support from PP and kept everything running really smoothly. Not having someone like that is a sore loss for us.
• The players were really a lot of fun. It was tremendously social with a great feeling of camaraderie. They also were a bit disorganised (chasing missing models and painting at the last minute to meet the Hardcore painting requirement) but they played fairly and wanted to be there.
• A competitive scene doesn’t necessarily have to be an aggressive scene. Warmachine tournaments do end up being power lists and magic bullet lists but it doesn’t mean the games aren’t fun.
• MK3 like MK2 is very much about player skill and knowing your army. The winner was a Seaforge army with no Earthbreaker and he beat a very good Wurmwood player in the final.
• Stef came second in the painting competition and wasn’t even there!!

My lists
List 1 75/75
(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
- Stormwall [39]
- Lancer [10]
- Squire [5]
Black 13th Strike Force [10]
Stormblade Infantry [10]
- Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner (3) [6]
- Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard [5]
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin [4]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Sentinel [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Armory (Steamroller) [0]

List 2 75/75
(Nemo 1) Commander Adept Nemo [+30]
- Dynamo [18]
- Ol' Rowdy [18]
- Thunderhead [20]
- Squire [5]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Tactical Arcanist Corps [7]
Ogrun Bokur [5]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Effigy of Valor (Steamroller) [0]

Match 1 – Entrenched
Rick – Nemo 1 vs Vlad 1
The draw for round 1 was made on Saturday night and I had the draw I wanted least. The other Hungarian press ganger and a member of their WTC team playing Vlad 1 with Conquest and a Behemoth and Winterguard Riflemen. My Stryker/Stormwall list always fairs badly into Conquest taking 2-3 rounds to get trashed and with only light warjacks apart from that - I didn’t fancy facing that Behemoth and so I choose Nemo1 to try and get a sneaky assassination.
My plan failed on the top of round two when I forget that pVlad had Boundless charge and lost DJ Thunder very cheaply. Signs and Portents Winterguard Riflemen made short work of my Dwarves even with Deflection up. I moved Ol’ Rowdy up and killed the Behemoth but by this time was 3-0 on control points. In the next turn he made an error and moved Vlad too far forwards with no Windwall and only 1 focus. I fully loaded Dynamo and Locomotived him up. The first two shot were fully boosted and left him on about 3 health with the next shot doing dice minus 2 damage. Out of focus the third shot needed 9’s with a re-roll and a hit would have won me the game. Alas both rolls came up 8’s and I lost 5-0 on control points.

Nemanja might do his own battle reports so I will just briefly put in that he played Skarre 1 into a Hexeris2 player in round one and really only lost due to dice. Having survived an assassination attempt the Skorne player then rolled really hot with his Titans to destroy Nemanja Kraken and eek out a win.

Match 2 – Take and Hold
Rick – Stryker 1 vs Wurmwood
Having never played Wurmwood since its move to Godhood I was nervous about this matchup. It was a typical net list with 2 sets of shifting stones, 2 sentry stones, Lanyssa and a bucket load of Warpwolves. I choose the side and let him go first (which was a mistake). Turn 2 Cassius runs forward to dominate his flag, brought Wurmwood over and the tree feated. Mannikins are thrown forward and the wolves are behind threatening. I would have lost this matchup too except for the stormpods. Stormwall was being hit with Curse of Shadows and Stranglehold constantly and Ghetorix was teleported forward to provide a tanky road block. I kept firing out the stormpods to contest on my turn and an Arcane Shielded Lancer and Black 13th kept him from ever controlling my flag. After going 3-0 up I managed to free up the stormblades and kill everything that needed killing and trample Stormwall forward. I killed the Pureblood earlier through shooting and without Wraithbane Stormwall was able to stop anymore loss of Control Points and 2 charging stormblades did the trick the following round.

Nemanja played Skarre vs Kharchev and won on scenario

Match 3 – Extraction
Rick – Stryker 1 vs Rahn
This looked like a good matchup as the opponent has only Discordia and the Sphinx as heavies, 2 arc nodes and lots of 1 wound infantry. At the bottom end of turn 2 I killed Discordia through shooting and feated and sat quite happy with ‘heavy armour everything’. I had however made a mistake having Stryker Def19/Arm 20 with 1 Foc out in front of Stormwall and behind a Sentinel. Apparition on the arc node, Rahn feats and forcehammers the sentinel into Stryker. The mitten mages pull Stryker into the middle of the field and a buffed Sphinx finishes him off and it is a second loss.

Nemanja is up against Haley 3 and manages as assassination to go 2-1

Match 4 – The Pit
As my record was never going to be good I decide before hand to play Nemo. I am facing Kharchev with Beast 09, Ruin and Kodiak and 3 Juggernauts. It was the player that Nemanja faced in the second round. I play second and of course mess up by not getting Nemo into bases to base with the Objective on my second turn. Kharchev goes 1 pt up and it means a certain loss unless I can contest his objective. A wall of six Arm 20 heavies all with countercharge are coming at me and his unit of widowmakers are looking at all my dwarves with relish. I throw the THead at his small amount of infantry and fry the Widowmakers and start circumnavigating some rough terrain to get to Kharchev. Nemo then became the MVP as he feated and then from each round onward used his gun to disrupt at least 3 jacks. With a Firefly adding 2 to the damage rolls Dynamo was pretty much shooting a heavy off the table each round and with the widowmakers dead the hammer dwarves charged in and took out another Juggernaut and severely crippled Ruin. In the pit zone there was a large unpassable obstruction and this caused a bottle neck which really helped me. Seeing the THead coming Kharchev moved up to clear the hammer dwarves and free up his jacks. He opened up a lovely space for Ol’ Rowdy to charge into and smash Kharchev to pieces. Assassination win.

Nemanja played a very solid Cygnar player with Brisbane and despite being left with only 3 models on the table pulled off a 5-2 scenario win.

The winning player turned out to be a local Mercs player with Ossram and Wurmwood in second place and the Retribution player I lost to in third round coming third. Nemanja took fifth and I came in a lowly 11th as I had no control points in any of my games. Great event, Nemanja championing both Serbia and Cryx admirably.
Last edited by Rick on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Guns don't kill people. People that say "Guns don't kill people" kill people. With guns.
RatGod
Strvinar

Re: Hungarian Masters 2016 [Brief Battle Reports]

Post by RatGod »

Great report, next time i hope i will be able join you guys :D Congratz Nemanja on his work!
1000 year-old lords of the walking dead? Chosen avatars of the dark gods leading horrible creatures from another dimension? Ancient members of the civilization who created the very world upon which we wage our wars? Bah! We're skittish mutant rats. We've got a bell. And we're going to ring it till your ears hurt bleed. Bitches.
Đura_Samurajac

Re: Hungarian Masters 2016 [Brief Battle Reports]

Post by Đura_Samurajac »

Rick wrote: • Stef came second in the painting competition and wasn’t even there!!
I have to say, this almost sounds like a Dos Equis commercial. :wink:
Dzon Vejn wrote:
This advanced bot stole my avatar!

Return to “Warmachine i Hordes”