Hordes Evolution Campaign

Moderator: Moderators

FGSerbia

Hordes Evolution Campaign

Post by FGSerbia »

As the new year rapidly approaches I was thinking of saying "Good-bye" to Mk 1 Hordes in anticipation of the New Year.

I have often tried to arrange running the campaign in the back of Hordes Evolution and I am going to try it again. Basically I'll sort out the map and players just need to meet at Sigil on Sunday 6th September and be ready to play. After that games are arranged between players but must be played every 2 weeks. They can be played at any location determined by the players. Ideally we need 4 players but it can be run with 3. To get involved you need at least 3 different warlocks and at least 800 pts worth of miniatures. Games of 1000 pts can be arrnaged but with the number of minions and lesser warlocks knocking around that is easily achievable from 800 pts.
As the games are many it is a great opportunity to try out new lists and warlocks and for new players to really get some practice in semi-competitive games.
Currently we have;
TROLLBLOODS - Painbringer
SKORNE - FGSerbia

We are looking for an Orboros player and an Everblight player. If you are interested please pm me.
Zekina banda

Re: Hordes Evolution Campaign

Post by Zekina banda »

Orboros
Izgubio je sve ko nije razumeo da je pobeda bila nesto drugo
http://offgridttgamers.blogspot.rs/
stari blog http://waxerspasttime.wordpress.com/
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Well this is good news we can start two groups;

Group 1
SKORNE - FGSerbia
ORBOROS - Minduploader
EVERBLIGHT - Boltafodder

Group 2
TROLLBLOODS - FGSerbia (though happy to stand down if Stef, Djordje or Shunka want to step in)
SKORNE -
ORBOROS - Zekina banda
EVERBLIGHT -

The basic jist of the campaign is as follows;
The factions each play for territories in a similar way to RISK - if they win the battle they control the territory. The prime objective is to control 3 special key territories as indicated on the map however the starting position means that these territories are not under the factions control, nor are they near the control of the factions. If you attack a territory next to one you already control then you are at full strength but for each intervening territory between one you control and the one you are attempting to win the opposing player has an advantage. When attacking the key territories there is a scenerio specific goal that must be achieved - it's not just overwhelming your opponents.

Now as it's a campaign losses affect the size of your faction as you go through the campaign. Thus if you lose a unit that unit stays lost until you can replace it. To do this each player has a 'War Chest' to buy new units and replace the ones that have been killed. This war chest is filled by victory points. It can hire mercenaries and be used to buy you advantages in matches.

Of course like RISK as one player nears completion his opponents are going to start to steer their strongest casters and best lists towards that player thus attrifying his forces as he attempts to take more key territories and thus thwart him. Therefore it's not just about shooting for the quick win as this can leave you with a heavily depleted force, it's about picking your battles and avoiding heavy losses whilst weakening opponents prior to your quest for glory.

There is a copy of Evolution in store and I will get some maps laminated and put up. If anyone knows where there's a copy of the campaign rules on-line please post the link.
PainBringer

Post by PainBringer »

EVERBLIGHT(group 2)
mladjano bugarce

Post by mladjano bugarce »

I`ll go with Everblight if you need more different players. I don`t have that many obligations in september and october.
ImageImage
PainBringer

Post by PainBringer »

Even better. Then I'll just play Trolls in group 1.
Resurrection

Post by Resurrection »

Naravno, svi ste svesni da ce se ovo igrati koliko i kampanja za WM prosle godine ili liga ove i prosle godine ili, zapravo, bilo sta sto nije poziv u 4 i dogovor za igranja u 6 tog ili sledeceg dana?
Zekina banda

Post by Zekina banda »

srecom defetisti k'o ti ne mogu da ucestvuju \:D/ :wink:
Izgubio je sve ko nije razumeo da je pobeda bila nesto drugo
http://offgridttgamers.blogspot.rs/
stari blog http://waxerspasttime.wordpress.com/
Resurrection

Post by Resurrection »

Postao sam defetista posto sam aktivno ucestovovao u svim gorenavedenim eventovima. A igrao sam i summer rampage prosle godine ;)
Experientia docet.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Group 1
SKORNE - FGSerbia
ORBOROS - Minduploader
EVERBLIGHT - Boltafodder

Group 2
TROLLBLOODS - Djordje B.
SKORNE - Shunka
ORBOROS - Zekina banda
EVERBLIGHT - Mladjano Bugarce
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Resurrection wrote:Naravno, svi ste svesni da ce se ovo igrati koliko i kampanja za WM prosle godine ili liga ove i prosle godine ili, zapravo, bilo sta sto nije poziv u 4 i dogovor za igranja u 6 tog ili sledeceg dana?
You're probably right but I keep trying and maybe one day it'll work. Shunka and I played a 3 match mini-campaign published in No Quarter (which I won 3 - 0 not to dwell on it) and it was fun. Perhaps in smaller groups where the incentive is simply to play rather than the prestige of winning something success is possible. Where I am hopeful here is that it involves 3 other people and if even 2 are keen then they can push the other 2 forwards. Maybe....hopefully.

I personally want it to work on two counts: As a player I think a campaign will be more satisfying than a series of unrelated games - it kind of makes it like Heroes of Might and Magic and over the course of the campaign it is not just the strongest list that wins but the better player AND the better tactician. I also enjoy Hordes vs Hordes much more than any other format because the Hordes mechanic denies infantrymachine which has spoiled WM MK1 in my opinion. I am also looking forward to playing games with similar lists because I have too many models and plenty that I have never even used. I can start practicing for tournaments with a consistent list and see how to improve my play style.
As a store owner I also think it's a winner because new players coming down will see involved games and realise that there is more to this game. It's a decent hook.
Resurrection wrote:kampanja za WM prosle godine
There was a lot of talk but nothing was ever arranged with that campaign. If this one works I'm hoping to do a WM campaign next year.
Resurrection wrote:ili liga ove i prosle godine
Just for information the league did kind of work but Ines won every single category and it seemed a little embarassing to pass on every single medal to her.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Ok.
So still starting on the 6th (for the first match all players need to be present) we have 2 full groups. I am am happy to step down from one if another Skorne player comes along and if a third group wants to be set up then that'll have to be done outside of me.

Each player needs to make 3 separate 750 pt lists with 3 separate Warlocks. As stated earlier - anyone short of models does not need to worry as between us we have probably over 750 pts worth of minions. Each list is subject to FA restrictions and character models can only appear once in any of your lists. Thus Molik Karn may only be in one of my three factions :x and not listed in each of the three. Each round will involve 3 games for everyone - one against each player. You can use any of your 3 lists in each of the matches but after each battle the losses are kept until the end of the round.
So for example my lists include a Xersis list, a Morghoul List and a Makeda list. The Makeda list contains Molik Karn and is my strongest list. In my first match against Orboros I win and lose half a unit of Karax and half a unit of swordsmen and a void spirit solo. The two half units refresh and so I am only down a void spirit solo. As I received 15 victory points (which become my war chest) I can buy a minion or another void spirit and then field the full Makeda list in the second match. Unfortunately in this match I am utterly spanked by Everblight and lose my entire force with the exception of Makeda and a Basilisk Krea. I also get no victory points. With the victory points I have remaining I can buy some forces back but it would still mean fielding a heavily depleted army in the third match and so I am forced to go to one of my other two lists. As in this match it is agreed that this will be a 1000 point battle Makeda and the Krea may feature again with one of the other two warlocks or I might make a combined list from them without Makeda.
As the combats are competitive it is likely that after each battle your list will be severely depleted and you will have to change lists. Attrition comes into play when playing 2 or even 3 1000 pt games in a round. It then becomes quite a tactical decision to essentially "give" your opponent a victory rather than end up facing 750pts with only 400pts worth of models on the table.

The campaign map
Please note I may have to take this down in a hurry.

From the map it is easy to see the regions and who they are controlled by. The object of the game is to take the 3 regions that are marked with numbers and in the order they are marked. So, as Skorne, if I get to declare an attack on Everblight I will endeavour to go north and take objective 1 which is controlled by Everblight. If I want I can attack the region below it in the first round and then attack the objective in the round after. The advantage of this is that if I am in control of an adjacent region the objective becomes significantly easier (the opponent gets to choose less terrain and you have more rounds in which to complete the objectives). The disadvantage is that I could lose the first battle and then Everblight will be on the offensive against me and I cannot declare an attack against him. Each of the numbered objectives are scenerio matches where the scenerio advantages are stacked in the defender's favour and so timing your attack is crucial. I would much rather face a depleted Rhyas list in that match than a full strength Saeryn list. Knowing that I will attack that region the Everblight player has to decide risking his strongest list to achieve his objective or keeping it back to thwart mine. And so the battle rages backwards and forwards. I will get some white, red, green and blue pins to represent the changing of territories and each group will have their own campaign map hanging in Sigil to keep track of how the campaign is going.

After each of the opponents has fought each other the round is over and the lists refresh and the player with the most victory points gets to declare first and is in "pole position".

Anyway we can go over the rules further on the 6th and players are of course welcome (and it is recommended) to read the rules between now and then. I'll start 2 new threads on this forum for each campaign group and we can post results, battle reports and keep track of the War Chests on line. Please keep the questions coming so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. If you feel that you are going to struggle to commit then by all means let us know. What this campaign does is allow for 'teams' so that in Group 2 if Bojan thinks he'll struggle playing some games he declares only 2 lists and allows Painbringer to declare a list and then they can divide up games.
FGSerbia

Hordes Evolution Campaign Schedule

Post by FGSerbia »

After the first game it is upto players to organise matches between themselves.
The first game is on the 6th September at 16:00 at Sigil
The second game should be played by the 20th September
The final game of this round 11th October (a week extra because of tournament).

Obviously if one player delays games it can cause all the other to be held up. If you definitely cannot make a game it can simply be declared as a rout and the other player gains 10VPS and keeps/takes the territory.

After that there will be a week to sort out war chests, initiative, tweeks to lists and declare a new round of attacks and we start with the 1st turn of the 2nd round on the 18th October.

Also - Battle Reports will be nice!!
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Campaign Tactics

A wise player once stated that scenerios are all the same - kill the caster.

In the campaign this is both true and false. The true side is obvious but it is also false because you're opponent should not pull off the risky moves that could lead his caster out of position and therefore it should be much more difficult to perform the caster kill.

For example. I have 3 matches to play, one is declared against me and two I declare against opponents. The first match where I am being attacked is unimportant as the territory is not of any value, the second match is more important as the territory has an advantage listed with it. The third match is crucial because it is an objective. In match 1 it is vital that I don't lose my caster. Obviously I don't want to give my opponent any cheap VP's and also I want to pick up as many VP's as possible - but with two big matches coming up I need my caster and any key characters solos/beasts to survive.
If this occurs then I have the option to play bigger matches in the remaining 2 games. The second match is important so going for the 1000 point game is feasible ONLY if my caster survived the last battle otherwise I will really lead myself short in the last game. During this game one of my warcasters also must survive as my opponent could always raise the battle to the 100 pt level. The other advantage that 1000 point battles give is the possibility for 35 - 40 Vps instead of 25 - 30. Losing 2 close 1000 pt battles will often yield more than winning 3 750 pts battles. Though what you will do in your third battle is always a tricky question.
In the 3rd battle the 1000 point option is also the best. Why? Well firstly - if your opponent has had a bad round then he may only be able to field one warcaster and this would be a huge advantage. Also the injection of extra points could mean that you are able to finish high and thus be able to declare matches next round. Thirdly, and most importantly - as all the scenerios have conditions based on winning them that does not really on caster kill the more models you have the more options you have. In most of the scenerios there is a rule called siege attrition where if you complete half of the objectives the next time you come to do the scenerio you have half less to complete. As this is the last battle in the round - I know I will be getting a list refresh before my next battle and thus I can throw models into completing the objectives more recklessly than if this was my first or second battle.

Skorne has a significant advantage in the early rounds as for 13 war chest points it can field eMagnus, 2 renegades and some minions and turn a 750 pt list into a decent 1000 pt list. As the campaign continues this advantage will dwindle as the factions will no doubt add new detachments. I don't know if this is a design plan by PP to encourage sales but the inclusion of another detachment gives a faction a massive advantage as they can field 1000 point armies more regularly and thus bully the smaller factions into playing one warlock against two. An army with 6 Warlocks could guarentee 1000 pt battles for the entire round with no loss of competitiveness.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Post by Pendargon »

A wise player once stated that scenerios are all the same - kill the caster.
ahhhhhhhh... it feels so nice to be quoted 8) 8) 8) 8)
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Warmachine i Hordes”