Rules Question (MK1)

Moderator: Moderators

FGSerbia

Rules Question (MK1)

Post by FGSerbia »

Hey just wanted to check 2 rules questions that I was wondering about. The first is a Karax question, the second a light cav questions.

OK. I am playing against Khador with Skorne for example and am wishing to get rid of soem pesky widowmakers (also read Eiryss, Kell, Aiyana & Holt etc) but my Cannoneer has bugger all chance of hitting them. Would this work? Run my karax upto them to engage but them turn around. Shoot at the Karax which if it hits will kill the tragic hero but the AoE will do the damage I need to the others and if it misses the special rule means that the scatter will land on the model anyway 50% fo the time. Also by turning around do I negate the -4 DEF as I am not engaging the widowmakers?

Second question. The Light cav rules state that it may move upto it's speed in inches after making it's combat action. This means melee, shooting or magic attacks right? Does it include *special actions? This is particularly interesting for the new Orboros Dragoon and Darragh Wrathe as both have special actions that can affect a lot of models.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Re: Rules Question (MK1)

Post by Pendargon »

OK. I am playing against Khador with Skorne for example and am wishing to get rid of soem pesky widowmakers (also read Eiryss, Kell, Aiyana & Holt etc) but my Cannoneer has bugger all chance of hitting them. Would this work? Run my karax upto them to engage but them turn around. Shoot at the Karax which if it hits will kill the tragic hero but the AoE will do the damage I need to the others and if it misses the special rule means that the scatter will land on the model anyway 50% fo the time. Also by turning around do I negate the -4 DEF as I am not engaging the widowmakers?
Yes to all except -4 def, as it is shooting in melle penalty, and even though YOU are not engaging the widowmaker, the widowmaker is engaging YOU (assuming you want him to die from the blast), so you are in melle :-)
Second question. The Light cav rules state that it may move upto it's speed in inches after making it's combat action. This means melee, shooting or magic attacks right? Does it include *special actions? This is particularly interesting for the new Orboros Dragoon and Darragh Wrathe as both have special actions that can affect a lot of models.
No, does not include special actions. However, you will notice that darragh spells are NOT special actions, and he can legally do the following sequence: move , cast spell, make melle attack (even if out of range, attack misses) use light cavalry movement to ride out. And remember, on top of everything, he is NOT light cavalry, he has a special rule called Shadow rider, which lets him make impact hits.
He can do exactly the same thing on charge, except he needs to be in melle with the target, otherwise activation ends.
I wouldn't know about the new orboros dragoon, but, as far as i know, he is not out yet.
ImageImageImageImageImage
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Cool, but one step further (a brief forray into the theoretical) as Widowmakers, eiryss, a+h etc don't have reach I could get to within an inch, then turn my back and thus avoid the -4 Def as although the Karax has reach the enemy models are in the back arch...? I presume that's ok.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Post by Pendargon »

Well, technically, you would have to be a little less than an inch as the bases are 2.5 cm, which is 0.04 less than an inch, so a half base is smaller than half an inch, and to clip, from a center of your base to an enemy model has to be less than 1.5 inches. But do bear in mind that doing it that way will usually kill only one widowmaker ( you not entering their melle range), as they are usually spaced out more than 0.5 inches. It will work for eyriss, though.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Aiyana & Holt are usually in b2b and if I stand between the lead widowmaker and another one, that's a cmd check vs 5 or 6 I think. As I said - this is just a bit of theorymachine and with the Soulward it is not that hard to target these guys but they all have special rules and I am looking for ways to get rid of snipers as they are the bane of shieldwalled units.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja

Post by Pendargon »

cmd check vs 5 or 6 I think
7 when leader is dead.
Khador knows no fear (and we cryxians :-D)

Return to “Warmachine i Hordes”