Independent Games

Moderator: Moderators

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Well... not exactly Fallout. That is more like exploring the 'Mad Max' theme, with a couple (more like a handful) of twists.

What I have in mind is something with closer similarities with the 12 Monkeys movie. These would be the main differences between what I have in mind and Fallout: 1) exact, investigation-like theme, mission or purpose for the players; 2) considerably less focus on combat and social interaction, and more focus on the minds of the player's characters, including mechanical treatments of conditions such as paranoia, diseases (even more movie-specific, the effects of that one important, apocalyptical virus) and the consequences of heavy drug use; 3) setting. Although this one is the easiest to convert, I can't think of a way of implementing time travel in a Fallout setting. 4) I was sure there was at least one more thing... nevermind.

Damn. I went too far. I should make a system myself...

Anyway, thanks for the idea :D
bojan
WH rulesmaster

Post by bojan »

Slartibartfast wrote:Well... not exactly Fallout. That is more like exploring the 'Mad Max' theme, with a couple (more like a handful) of twists.
Twilight 2000 could be played like that with some modifications...
CYNIC, n.
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Dawngreeter

Re: New shipment of Independent Games Arriving

Post by Dawngreeter »

FGSerbia wrote:4 x Spirit of the Century
2 x Don't Rest Your Head
2 x Dogs in the Vineyard
2 x Burning Wheel: Revised Edition
8O

Ooookay... Anyone wanna buy my sister? Anyone at all? She's good at maths and stuff, she can do your homework for you.

Seriously though, I neeeeed all of this. Darn you Rick, daaaarn yooou! :lol:
Is it bright where you are? Have the people changed? Does it make you happy?
Hypodermic
Blago kluba Zmaj

Post by Hypodermic »

I'll biy your sister for 5e :) C'mon, seriously, greeter, it can't be THAT bad.. all of those games in total cannot cost more that 400e, and what is 400e to you? :D
Pendargon wrote:...po toj logici, mogao bih da isecem lepih 10 kockastih komada stiropora, na devet zalepim bolter i bolt pistolj, i granate, i mali nozic, jednom zalepim powerfist da viri, a na jednog zakacim lasscannon, i imam savrsenu jedinicu chaos space marinaca....
Image Image :badger: :badger: :badger:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Actually, Spirit of the Century and and Don't Rest Your Head are quite cheap. And I'm getting that Burning Wheel, if I manage to arrange something profitable with my pimp till the end of the month :lol:
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Slartibartfast wrote:Damn. I went too far. I should make a system myself...
Well, yeah, when you're full of ideas it comes down to that I'm afraid 8) . Or you can make a supplement to an existing system. For example, I hear there is one called SRP which is very very modular 8)
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

Yeah. I think that you should use that modular system, too. :wink:
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Pazi, vidi, kockica ima 6 strana, a terminator gine samo na 1... by Chomie
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Post by Pendargon »

For example, I hear there is one called SRP which is very very modular
Nah, not enough tables... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Awakened wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Damn. I went too far. I should make a system myself...
Well, yeah, when you're full of ideas it comes down to that I'm afraid 8) . Or you can make a supplement to an existing system. For example, I hear there is one called SRP which is very very modular 8)
I was afraid someone will mention it here once, since it is the most independent RPG ever published. Definitely. :lol:

By the way, did you manage to get a copy of the video from the presentation? While we're on the subject - Rick, there is something you HAVE to see, but only if your Serbian is good enough 8)
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

the most independent RPG ever published
... but mostly independent from logic... :wink:

And, Rick, if you Serbian is not good enough, through this book you'll learn all the forgotten words and phrases of past centuries.

PS

I'm feeling a bit dirty, since the creator of SRP system is not very good in English, hence cannot reply to this topic. :cry:
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

What're you people going on about? SRP was funded by the Orthodox Church. It's as independant as Northern Ireland.

EDIT: There's a joke in there, somewhere. Honest.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Slartibartfast wrote: By the way, did you manage to get a copy of the video from the presentation? While we're on the subject - Rick, there is something you HAVE to see, but only if your Serbian is good enough 8)
Not the video unfortunately, but I got audio file from lordwarrior. Its on my "most often played" playlist 8)
Shunka
Jožin z bažin

Post by Shunka »

We just have to find a way to improve the audio recording. Because you can't hear all the questions from the audience. I still remember them, but for someone who wasn't there it would be a vast improvement.

IG's English isn't that bad. He can understand us. As well as he might if we were typing in Serbian, at least. Which is not much.
Dawngreeter wrote:ima i toga
rekurzivno glupilo
90% svega je sranje, a to ukljucuje i preostalih 10%
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Shunka wrote:We just have to find a way to improve the audio recording. Because you can't hear all the questions from the audience. I still remember them, but for someone who wasn't there it would be a vast improvement.
Right. Originally, I tried to deduct what the question was from the answer. Then, I realized that the answers bear little to no relation to the question.
lord warrior
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by lord warrior »

Shunka wrote:We just have to find a way to improve the audio recording. Because you can't hear all the questions from the audience. I still remember them, but for someone who wasn't there it would be a vast improvement.
Get me Adobe Audition and i'll try to do something.
IG's English isn't that bad.
Yes it is.
Deception is a Right · Truth is a Privilege · Innocence is a Luxury
Gassalasca Jape

Post by Gassalasca Jape »

Why hasn't that thing found its way to YouTube yet? :wink:
Dawngreeter wrote:
U ovoj prici Evropa je kao drugi Isus Hrist. Zrtvovala se za grehe Sovjeta.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

A damn good question.

By the by, I also got Cold City and it's a truly awesome game. I'm in love. It's one of thsoe ideas that you always knew you wanted to see but could never really place your finger on it. Awesomeness in a bucket.

The game of Esoterrorists that Rick ran was, unfortunately, not finished in one sitting. However, the game itself seemed very interesting even if the mechanics take some getting used to. I'll open a separate topic when I'm awake enough to write more about it.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Gassalasca Jape wrote:Why hasn't that thing found its way to YouTube yet? :wink:
Or Kobajagrande, even...
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

The game of Esoterrorists that Rick ran was, unfortunately, not finished in one sitting. However, the game itself seemed very interesting even if the mechanics take some getting used to.
Hmmm, "interesting" - a euphemism me thinks.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Oh come on, I really did think it was interesting. Honest. :D

Even if I don't think the four of us, as players, really 'clicked' together in the best way possible. But it was genuinly fun to play a game which in no uncertain terms placed in front of you a puzzle to be solved. Which is where the 'getting used to' part kicks in, of course.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

So is someone going to organise a session for Cold City or A|State?
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Both would be cool. I guess I can take one and Nikola the other, or something like that. Since I'll be Scionized for another two or three weeks, I guess I'll have to poke Nikola to run either of those and I'll cover the other one afterwards.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Are you going to organise it. Do you need a venue?
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Not rightly sure, though I can always run a game at my place (which is what I have in mind for Scion). Since I'll be off on a graduation trip of sorts in a couple of days, guess I'll wait and see what the status is when I get back.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

My status equals eight exams till the end of June. I could try to squeeze a session or two somewhere in there, but I think that means Marko's Scion and another WoD campaign I'm currently involved in. But who knows?

I definitely plan on playing Cold City in the near future. I can lead for sure, it's just... uncertain till the end of June, like I said.

And Rick, Hollow Earth looks very neat. More importantly, it has the highest interest factor among my players of all the games I bought. I can't really say it was unexpected.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

So... how come I never heard of this Mars RPG before?

Blatantly stolen from Rick's latest newsletter:
Welcome to Mars!

Not Mars as it is - airless, most likely lifeless, with only the faintest hints of what might have once been a damp, if not necessarily lush and living, world billions of years in the past. No, this is Mars as it should be and as it was once imagined to be - an ancient, dying, but not yet dead world, a world where a vast canal network reaches from pole to pole, bringing water and life to vast and fantastic cities. A Mars where albino apes run a vast empire in the last surviving jungle, a world where warrior tribes of Green Martians raid the outlying cities of the canal dwellers, a world where, in places dark and quiet and forgotten beneath the surface, ancient and terrible intellects plan dark and dire deeds.
I mean seriously, how can this be anything less than awesome?

Plus, the Blood and the Book of Spirits for WoD. But that's kinda off-topic since they're hardly independant books. Now excuse me while I go drool over the newsletter some more.
FGSerbia

Massive RPG Sale June

Post by FGSerbia »

There's a few Indie RPG's on sale this month.
Check out

http://www.fantasygamesserbia.com/fgs_june_sale.htm

for offers.

Cheers,

Rick
Malcolm Craig

Post by Malcolm Craig »

Slartibartfast wrote:My status equals eight exams till the end of June. I could try to squeeze a session or two somewhere in there, but I think that means Marko's Scion and another WoD campaign I'm currently involved in. But who knows?

I definitely plan on playing Cold City in the near future. I can lead for sure, it's just... uncertain till the end of June, like I said.

And Rick, Hollow Earth looks very neat. More importantly, it has the highest interest factor among my players of all the games I bought. I can't really say it was unexpected.
By the way, if anyone has any questions that come out of reading or playing Cold City, please do feel free to post them and I'll attempt to answer as best I can.

Cheers
Malcolm
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Man, how often do you get to have a game developer home-delivered to your local forum for easy rules reference? :D

Seriously though, after going through the book I don't think I felt there was anything inadequately explained. But, of course, such things are often proven otherwise once the actual play starts...
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Contested Ground seem to be busy...
A new game called Mob Justice and a companion to Cold City.
From the write up it all looks good and I'm not just saying that because the author has been known to visit the forum.

I would ask Malcolm to give his new stuff a plug but I'm worried that the moderator might interpret it as Marketing and move the thread into some unknown limbo - after all what would anyone interested in Independent Games want to do with someone who writes, promotes and markets them for a living??

(apologies to all moderators I'm am just being a bit snotty over a Tannhauser issue - it's my problem and I'll deal with it)
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

Do not worry... :wink:
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

lord warrior
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by lord warrior »

FGSerbia wrote:...I would ask Malcolm to give his new stuff a plug but I'm worried that the moderator might interpret it as Marketing...
It's OK with me.
Deception is a Right · Truth is a Privilege · Innocence is a Luxury
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Seriously I was only messing around - I'm not that petty....

Return to “FRP/RPG”