Indie Games 2

Moderator: Moderators

FGSerbia

Indie Games 2

Post by FGSerbia »

OK,
Delivery from the US is now in the UK and will be in Belgrade on about the 21st July. Full delivery list and prices below. Due to the fact that they are from the US the prices are very low BUT I HAVE VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES - some only 1 copy of. As always it is a first come first served basis.
Please let me know if you want to reserve anything.
A|State 1800 din
Agon 1200 din
Burning Wheel 1500 din
Dog Town 1800 din
Dogs in the Vineyard 1320 din
Don't Rest Your Head 900 din
Dread 1440 din
Dust Devils 1440 din
Legends of Alyria 1500 din
Mortal Coil 1320 din
Nine Worlds 1200 din
Roanoke 600 din
Spirit of the Century 1800 din
Swansong 1140 din
Thirty 1200 din
Cheers,
Rick
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Joca,
You are so right. You see a posting on a forum which says it is about independent rpgs in a section of the forum which is about rpgs and it is advertising what independent rpgs will be available FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THIS COUNTRY following the previous thread which had over 100 replies and 5000 reads. Two seconds of your life wasted because you obviously thought you were going to read a posting on football right?
It is so annoying.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Post by Pendargon »

Don't get agitated, Rick. There will always be THOSE people...
There are a lot of us who suppport (and are gratefull) what you are doing. Keep up the good work, Mate! :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Joca

Post by Joca »

One thing is to talk about new games, rules, mechanics etc... Your post is nothing more than a warehouse list of items with prices.

I would love to see anything about football RPG.

Dawngreeter:
Please do not think of Rick as competition, and even is you see him as such threatening him with your baseball bat is just not right.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Oh I do not treat Rick as competition, except when his archers are killing my horsies in BattleLore (damn you, English archers!). What I do see as competition, however, is all the other greedy little bastards who will want to buy the indie games before I get the chance to buy them first.

Also, that warehouse list of items and prices is kinda like lord god himself coming down among the unwashed, indie RPG-starved masses.
Is it bright where you are? Have the people changed? Does it make you happy?
bojan
WH rulesmaster

Post by bojan »

Joco, hajde malo oladi.
CYNIC, n.
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Anyone,
A questions of ettiquette then for the poor stupid Englishman - if I had worded the thread like this then I take it I would have committed no faux-pas and would not be violating anyone's sense of justice;

NEW THREAD: PRICES IF INDIE GAMES WERE BROUGHT FROM AMERICA AS OPPOSED TO THE UK.

Dear Zmaj members I am genuinely shocked to discover how much cheaper games are if imported from the US than the UK. Please look at the following games as an example;
Spirit of the Century 1800 din from the US 2200 din from the UK
Agon 1200 din from the US 1500 din from the UK
Burning Wheel 1500 din from the US 2200 din from the UK
Dogs in the Vineyard 1320 din from the US 1820 din from the UK
Don't Rest Your Head 900 din from the US 1100 din from the UK
... (etc etc etc)
I would appreciate the forums ideas on the socio-political impact of the staistics above. Why would anyone ever purchase games at those inflated UK prices when cheap US alternative options are available? Discuss.

I genuinely and without malice don't know where the line is - moderators please? I really don't try to hijack a thread that anyone else has started to purely advertise - that would be totally out of order. But in all honesty - and I think anyone with common sense would agree - unless these games are advertised and read then why are we having a discussion about indie games at all? Considering these are them and they don't really exist at the moment except as a concept (Slartibartfast and Dawngreeter aside with some customer orders before now). As soon as these games go out then there can be a really healthy discussion as to whether the hype of SotC is worthwhile, is burning wheel's transition to non pdf worthwile etc etc
I would love to see anything about football RPG.
There is a brand new indie rpg called contender that is currently being massively raved about - it has no GM and all the players play characters in the world of underground boxing. Unfortunately due to limitations on this forum I am not at liberty to say if the game is available in Serbia nor the price if it was.
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

Mate,
You do not have to worry about posting - if you were violating any of the restrictions, thread would be replaced or even deleted. So, once again: do not worry.

This topic was dying when you started importing rpg-s, so it's not a problem to post your stocklist here, if that would bring this subforum back to life.

I'm not a moderator on this part of forum, but you can ask for permission someone who is, if needed - bojan for instance.
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Pazi, vidi, kockica ima 6 strana, a terminator gine samo na 1... by Chomie
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

It is so cool to be addressed as "mate" in the opening line on a mail. Makes me feel quite nostalgic (wipes tear from eye). You've spent time in the UK and not as a tourist right?
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

No, but I went few times... spent some time there, and I generally try to fit in every society I come across. That's where "mate" came from. :D
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

By every class you mean you met lots of different people down the pub right? The best rpg sessions in the UK are upstairs in some 1000 year pub somewhere. Adds both ambience and alcohol - two fine ingredients in the suspension of disbelief.
Pendargon
Moderator bez portfelja
Location: Between Heaven and Hell... In Heaven they don't want me, but the Devil doesn't want a competition

Post by Pendargon »

The best rpg sessions in the UK are upstairs in some 1000 year pub somewhere. Adds both ambience and alcohol - two fine ingredients in the suspension of disbelief.
Now there's an idea I would like to try out!!! Now how didn't I think of that??? :D :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

By every class you mean you met lots of different people down the pub right?
No. When I said every society, I spoke generally (as every social group in Serbia, or anywhere else). What was on my mind is: I could socialize with anyone - from scientist to construction worker, without lacking a subject to talk (from football to physics).

But, I did start to use word "mate" in a pub... if that's what you wanted to know.
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

bojan
WH rulesmaster

Post by bojan »

As a moderator, I see no problem in Rick posting the list of RPGs he has for sale here - any post that tries to make a problem where there is none will be deleted.
CYNIC, n.
A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

There are 2 pubs in Nottingham that date back to the Crusades

The Olde Trip to Jerusalem 1189 AD and Ye Olde Salutation Inn 1249 AD. Both very popular with RPG groups. Mind you they also get LARP Vampire players but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

The English Book actually runs low cost trips to Nottingham..... kidding Joca...
Hypodermic
Blago kluba Zmaj

Post by Hypodermic »

FGSerbia wrote: Mind you they also get LARP Vampire players but you have to take the rough with the smooth.
Oh c'mon, they can't be that bad... can they? Or am I the only one who sees Vampire LARP as something that does not nesesarilly have to have gothic elements... or whatever element most of other RPG enthusiast resent and LARPers have...
Pendargon wrote:...po toj logici, mogao bih da isecem lepih 10 kockastih komada stiropora, na devet zalepim bolter i bolt pistolj, i granate, i mali nozic, jednom zalepim powerfist da viri, a na jednog zakacim lasscannon, i imam savrsenu jedinicu chaos space marinaca....
Image Image :badger: :badger: :badger:
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

It's not that I don't respect the Vampire LARPer's I just think that what they do is a bit stupid.

No man I'm only messing about - LARPers are such easy targets I am not going to say anything bad about them. When half the planet runs around the virtual world of warcraft how can anyone throw the first stone....?
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

how can anyone throw the first stone....?
'Cause he's shameless... like me. So, who's target for the rock? :D
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

To go totally on a tangent in regards to Vamp LARPing... while I do think LARPing is a cool idea and I have most definitely heard a bunch of awesome things people managed to do with it... well, y'know. Imagine your Joe Average vampire player who plays bunny-rabbit-slipper Malkavian or a 2D cardboard cutout Brujah with a black duster, shades and twin katanas. Wouldn't you just love to see them in a LARP? Yeah.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Round here it is a bunch acne ridden students trying to do their impression of The Crow and seem sinister and dangerous whilst at the same time tyring to avoid getting man-raped by the University Rugby team that ARE both sinister and dangerous (in a herd of stampeding wilderbeast kind of way). Somehow it lacks majesty. Or credibilty. Or anything vaguely resembling masculinity.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Yeah, there's that as well. Seems a whole lot of it ends up being socially inept people validating each other ad infinitum.

But then again, a friend from Ireland who's heavily into official Camarilla organized play tells me there are also some pretty good LARP games as well. Granted, from what I could gather it seems it's mostly the sort of thing adults get involved in. Which might be somewhat on the bizzare side in its own right.
Hypodermic
Blago kluba Zmaj

Post by Hypodermic »

Megabaja wrote:
how can anyone throw the first stone....?
'Cause he's shameless... like me. So, who's target for the rock? :D
Well, me :) I ckinda started the topic. Do mind, it says in the sheet that i have dodge 4 :)
Pendargon wrote:...po toj logici, mogao bih da isecem lepih 10 kockastih komada stiropora, na devet zalepim bolter i bolt pistolj, i granate, i mali nozic, jednom zalepim powerfist da viri, a na jednog zakacim lasscannon, i imam savrsenu jedinicu chaos space marinaca....
lord warrior
Server Admin
Server Admin

Post by lord warrior »

I just have to say that i second what bojan wrote about the rules.

Just ignore those idiots roaming the forum looking for a fight.
Deception is a Right · Truth is a Privilege · Innocence is a Luxury
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

...looking for a fight...
That's great... I'm looking too, so if you find someone, direct him to me. 8) :D
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Malcolm Craig

Football Game....

Post by Malcolm Craig »

Joca wrote: I would love to see anything about football RPG.
Then you may well be interested in Up Go The Heads! a game in development by Gregor Hutton.

Cheers
Malcolm
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

So. I'll probably end up opening a separate thread for each of these games, but for now I'll just post a blurb of first impressions here, based on little more than casual sifting through the books.

Spirit of the Century - Still not sure how exactly it's meant to be played with absolutely no prior planning, but it seems fun. The characters seem to be 'loosely' defined, through aspects and keywords and whatnot. It runs on the FATE system, which is a modification of the FUDGE system and it strikes me as something that I should've been using on my Nerves to Cables all along (luckily, it's under open licence). Also, the pack of FUDGE dice I got contains four pink colored dice, so now I am a happy camper :D

Dog Town - Bigger book then I expected. Like, a LOT bigger. Think softcover Vampire: the Requiem core book. It's played with regular dice (d20s are in there, though others might be used as well, I just didn't spot them) and the system aims for stark realism of crime life rather than cinematic blockbuster action. In fact, it sort of seems like Cyberpunk 2020 the way it really should have been, minus the futuristic stuff. the amount of resources in the book is amazing, it even has diagrams of neighborhoods for ease of game preparation. It is also aimed at 2 or 3 player games (not positive at this point, but I do believe this includes the game master).

Burning Wheel - A two book package, both books of equal size. One is the game system, other is the character creation book. That's right, half the game is character creation. Templates, concepts, lifepaths, ideals, beliefs... it's all in there. If that doesn't make for character-driven gameplay then I don't know what does. Assuredly NOT for people who complain about building characters for longer than 20 minutes. Flavor-wise, it's fantasy done right. That's classic fantasy. No 'genre evolving', 'unique concepts' and so forth. The designer seems to be primarily inspired by Ursula Le Guin, so that should tell you something. Also, the magic system seems to be one of the selling points.

Dust Devils - A tiny little book for gun-slinging wild west games played using poker cards and poker chips. 'Nuff said.

Colonial Gothic - I actually didn't get around to even just sifting through the book. It seems to be played with dice as per usual and is a weird take on the colonial period of North America. That's all I know.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Dawngreeter wrote:Templates, concepts, lifepaths, ideals, beliefs... it's all in there. If that doesn't make for character-driven gameplay then I don't know what does. Assuredly NOT for people who complain about building characters for longer than 20 minutes.
OMG, SRP is most character-driven gameplay system ever!
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Touche (though I'm exactly sure SRP in actuality has those so much as it merely offers senseless tables). What I probably should've touched upon in the blurb is that the beliefs and concepts of characters define the flow of the game. At this point not exactly sure how, but that seems to be the way the game works.

EDIT: Also, the character creation seems to be a sort of a game in itself. There are decisions to be made, consequences to be followed and so forth.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Dawngreeter wrote:the beliefs and concepts of characters define the flow of the game. At this point not exactly sure how
I'm sure that's how Perun feels about SRP as well 8)
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Take it as you will.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Joking aside, I remember looking through Burning Wheel some time ago, and it had some very nice concepts. However, I think I recall some small thing I didn't really like, but I can't remember which.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Is someone going to translate SRP?
It seems to provide so much inspiration for discussion that surely it should be (unleashed) given to the world?
Hypodermic
Blago kluba Zmaj

Post by Hypodermic »

FGSerbia wrote:Is someone going to translate SRP?
It seems to provide so much inspiration for discussion that surely it should be (unleashed) given to the world?
ROFLMAO! Heck no, don't give the creator ideas about publishing in english :D You know rick the whole concept of discussion about SRP is that it's a "discussion" rather than a discussion, if you know what i mean ;) Ask Dawngreeter for a more detailed explanation when you see him for the Starcraft playtest (and, in case you need to shut him up after he starts talking, just offer him a soda or sumtin :D)
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Proper translation would hardly be a good representation of SRP. Gulan would have to translate it himself if the game is to retain its original feel. :lol:

@Awakened - my standard gaming group seems to be interested in Dog Town and Burning Wheel the most, so I hope I'll have some actual play comments before the year is over.
Awakened

Post by Awakened »

Dawngreeter wrote:@Awakened - my standard gaming group seems to be interested in Dog Town and Burning Wheel the most, so I hope I'll have some actual play comments before the year is over.
Which year?
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Year of Their Lord, 2007.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I want to play The Burning Wheel. [Jody]Invite me, invite me, invite me![/Jody] I'm in the mood for good fantasy ever since I started GMing D&D again...
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

You started GMing D&D again? 8O
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Yep. I wanted to take a look at the Planescape setting at least once (largely due to adoration of Planescape: Torment) so I suggested a campaign back in February. My group accepted... and we're playing it regularly ever since. I struggle constantly with the system, but the story kinda grew on us so now we're not stopping. And it's not even half way through. So there you go.

I even started selecting treasure randomly, it's pretty fun :lol:
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Return to “FRP/RPG”