TORCHWOOD

Moderator: Moderators

FGSerbia

TORCHWOOD

Post by FGSerbia »

Has anyone seen this Dr Who spin off? I watched the first few episodes yesterday in CG and was pleasantly surprised. Worth a download imho
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Has anyone seen this Dr Who spin off?
That would be a 'no' then.
opsidiannight
Чика Дринки

Dr. Who

Post by opsidiannight »

Sory Rick, this is Serbia Here we watch Otpisani with Prle and Tihi (ww2 urban partisans seeries) not Dr. Who.

We have heard of Dr Who.
"This time, next year, we'll be millionaires!"
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

I never even watched Dr. Who. I keep meaning to, but there's decades of episodes I'd have to catch up on... Perhaps I'll have time when I retire :D
Is it bright where you are? Have the people changed? Does it make you happy?
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

I wasn't expecting an answer as such and wasn't at all bothered - it's just my sense of humour. Dr Who relaunched about 3 years ago and is massively popular in ther uk and us. It was made for family viewing and was a series that scared kids through the decades. One of the characters of the new remake was so popular that he got his own 'adult' spin-off version called Torchwood. It's really silly, very gay and lots of fun. The second series starts next January and James Marsters (aka Spike) has joined the cast. 13 episodes = 13 hours of really silly sci-fi fun. Great for all those who wished just once Mulder would lighten up.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Well great, now I have to watch it if Marsters is gonna be in it. This always happens to me, now I'll be downloading episodes for weeks on end.

Do they have Daleks in Torchwood? :D
Xardas

Post by Xardas »

i have seen a few episodes of Dr Who and i did not like it that much. Some of my friends love it but its a bit too much for me. I like the more classic approach to sci-fiImage Image
ImageImage

and Dr Who is definitely not classic...

X
Omiljeni latinski citat : "Perikur acdatis eneus mrdi!"
:)
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Dude. The only thing more classic in the Sci-Fi domain than Dr. Who is the original Solaris.
Xardas

Post by Xardas »

Dawngreeter wrote:Dude. The only thing more classic in the Sci-Fi domain than Dr. Who is the original Solaris.
Are we talking about the same show? Dr Who = dude who travels trough time/space in a phone both? I watched 2 episodes, the one with live dummies and the destruction of earth...they both seemed a bit too naive to me...does it get better later?

X
Omiljeni latinski citat : "Perikur acdatis eneus mrdi!"
:)
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

I have no idea, I didn't watch a single episode. It is, however, the longest-running Sci-Fi show in the history of mankind. It gave birth to Daleks which are widely recognized as possibly the greatest alien antagonists ever to be seen on TV.

Having never actually watched it, I can't really say but the show does strike me as somewhat naive, by modern standards. Which makes it even better because, honestly, there's only so many Star Trek ripoffs a man can stomach before concluding that modern crap SF takes itself way too seriously..
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Star Wars & Trek and some (possibly) silly show about a doctor named after a interrogative pronoun are considered classic SF these days? Weird :lol:
Gassalasca Jape

Post by Gassalasca Jape »

For some reason I always imagined Dr Who to be similar to The Hitchhiker's Guide. I mean zaney british SF humour an' all... But seeing as I've only watched about 60 seconds of the show so far (i.e. two short clips from the 80s with Martin Clunes in them) I might be mistaken. :lol:
Dawngreeter wrote:
U ovoj prici Evropa je kao drugi Isus Hrist. Zrtvovala se za grehe Sovjeta.
opsidiannight
Чика Дринки

Name

Post by opsidiannight »

I beleve he should be caled Dr. Whom, so it is a pun.
"This time, next year, we'll be millionaires!"
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

"You know that doctor?"
"Which one?"
"You know, the scarf guy. Travels through time. Has a posh British accent. He made out with your mom."
"Oh, you mean Dr. Whom I Caught Making Out With My Mom?"

...this is one of those things that can really seem humorous only to myself, and only at 9am.
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

when i hear name Martin Clunes, I cannot resist to mention Neil Morissey, and his most popular part in Constructor Bob children show... (or something like that)
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Pazi, vidi, kockica ima 6 strana, a terminator gine samo na 1... by Chomie
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Martin Clunes starred as a very very camp baddie in an early eighties episode, way before Men behaving Badly. As was the early 80's he was wearing a lot of new romantic style clothes and had on a lot of make-up which was cool for a very brief period of time.

Doctor Who (and therefore Torchwwod) is totally niave. If you want your sci-fi to suspend disbelief then yes, 4400, Stargate, x-files etc etc. If you can not see the beauty in the premise that a london shopgirl can meet a strange bloke that just drifts around through time and space averting near certain apocalypses and disasters armed only with an electronic screwdriver then avoid these series as they will seem really crap. The stories are incredibly silly but that's part of the beauty. It's classic star trek vs Next Generation. The latter is so good and bright and stylish but there's something so adorable about heroes with middle-aged paunches always ending up on the same silly looking planets (all with a breathable atmoshere) fighting monsters that are out of Ed Wood B movies. I love the big blockbusters at the cinema with all the special effects but sometimes I like to go to the theatre too.....
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

4400? Stargate? X-Files? Silly. 8)
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Thou shalt not deride ye awesome X-Files (of which anything beyong ye 5th seasone shalt not be uttered or acknowledged to exist)
Gassalasca Jape

FGSerbia wrote: I love the big blockbusters at the cinema with all the special effects but sometimes I like to go to the theatre too.....

I don't think the comparison holds - there's nothing silly about theatre, and for me at least, if done properly of course, it captures the essence of drama in the way a film usually isn't able to. The shiny, flash expensive accessories or lack there of have nothing to do with the gravity/silliness of the whole thing.
Dawngreeter wrote:
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Theatre is not silly - but it requires its audience to fill in the blanks. Dr Who, Torchwood, Buffy are very much in the mold of that to me. The metaphor perhaps leaked but the experience between the cinema (with dolby surround stereo) and the theatre is vastly different - both are enjoyable but in both you need to engage different levels of expectation.
Gassalasca Jape

Oh God, you mentioned Buffy... seven years of bad luck with Greeter retelling all the episodes first in chronological order, and then going by his all-time favourite chart, with some juicy details from actors' bios thrown in for good measure. :lol:
Last edited by Gassalasca Jape on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dawngreeter wrote:
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Must... resist... raving... about Buffy...
Though, really, Gassalasca is wrong. I would also add a hefty amount of Angel in my lengthy speeches. :P

Of course, I am now completely and utterly sold on Torchwood and Dr. Who.

Return to “Film”