The Dark Knight (Slight spoiler alert)

Moderator: Moderators

FGSerbia

The Dark Knight (Slight spoiler alert)

Post by FGSerbia »

I just want to thank Chris Nolan.
What an amazing film. It is said that without Jonny Depp, Pirates of the Carribean would have been an enormous flop. Well without Heath Ledger the Dark Knight would have been superb - with him it redefines not only Batman as the best movie franchise of all time but probably the Dark Knight as the best super hero movie ever made and possibly the best film I have ever seen. I came out of the cinema last night - it being my third viewing in 2 weeks. And it was still so so good. There has never been a film that I would keep paying 10 Euros a time to watch over and over again.
I actually am sad for the loss of Heath Ledger as he will never again be able to reprise this role. He made the Joker more terrifying than the planet consuming Gallacticus of the Fantastic Four without any superpowers or gadgets.
It has the dialogue of Tarantino, the action of Cameron and the black humour of Peckinpah.

I hope that my praise doesn't raise expectations too high but I can't see how anyone can come out of that film without realising they've witnessed something special.
Awakened

Re: The Dark Knight (Slight spoiler alert)

Post by Awakened »

Dark Knight was a good movie, BUT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tiGCeWaYuM
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

FGSerbia wrote:I hope that my praise doesn't raise expectations too high
I honestly can't see how that could happen. I watched the movie twice now, going to see it for the third time this weekend probably, and the only flaws I can see are tiny little nitpicks. Best friggin' movie in a LONG time. It blew Burton's Batman right out of the water.

And Ledger was divine. What a loss that he won't be able to reprise his role...
Is it bright where you are? Have the people changed? Does it make you happy?
Gorbash

Post by Gorbash »

And Ledger was divine. What a loss that he won't be able to reprise his role...
Although, we'll have Johnny Depp as the Riddler in the next Batman lol...

IMO, it was an ok movie. And I can't really call it a superhero movie, since there's nothing really supernatural about Batman (or Joker, for that matter), but that's the thing I don't like about the whole franchise, not just the movie, which I must praise for its wonderful acting. I really liked Ackhart, in addition to Ledger of course. The only downside is Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her acting is mediocre, her face even more so.
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Gorbash wrote: And I can't really call it a superhero movie, since there's nothing really supernatural about Batman (or Joker, for that matter.
Most superheroes and villains were not superpowered but rather built suits, gadgets and weaponry that made them beyond normal law enforcement. Also ( :geek: Geek Alert :geek: ) remember Batman kicked Superman's Kryptonian ass all over Gotham.
Gorbash wrote: The only downside is Maggie Gyllenhaal. Her acting is mediocre, her face even more so.
It was the same with Gwyneth Paltrow in Iron Man. The role wasn't big enough for her. Maggie is very very sexy in the Secretary - I think that she just had a whiny complaining role.
Gassalasca Jape

Post by Gassalasca Jape »

I think she plain ugly and most people I've talked to seem to agree. She's an okay actor though and for some reason didn't bother me much

Anyway, I still think the film great but somewhat overhyped and definitely not as good as Rick claims. :P (the dialogue of Tarantino? pffft, not bloody likely).

What I'm wondering about though, is the next movie. I mean they'd be mad to cast another person as the Joker. So who'll be the next villain and will we ever se anything aproachin the awsomeness of Ledger's performance?
Dawngreeter wrote:
U ovoj prici Evropa je kao drugi Isus Hrist. Zrtvovala se za grehe Sovjeta.
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Thou shalt not talk ill of ye awesome Maggie Gyllnehaal for she didst act in Donnie Darko and shalt therefore be considered incorruptibly awesome. And besides, it's a proven fact you have no taste. :P

I don't think they'll go for joker in the next movie, but I do think they'll eventually return to someone else portraying that role. Face masks can help, and they can learn from Dark Knight how to copy Ledger's mannerisms. It can be done, I think, though it obviously won't be on this level of mind-boggling excellence.

Here's my idea. The next one is a good while later from the events depicted in Dark Knight. Gordon's son becomes Robin. Or Ramirez becomes Batgirl. Or both. Harvey Dent is the main villain, together with someone else (I'm not well versed in Batman villains, though Penguin jumps out as an obvious choice to be paired up with Two-Face). Gotham is dark again, darker still when everything blows up in their face and people discover they've been lied to about Harvey. It ends with some small victory for Batman and Gotham, but things are much worse in the end than they've been in the beginning.
Gassalasca Jape

I think Harvey died and I'd consider it lame if they came out and said nope, we never said so, he's your next main villain, enjoy.
Dawngreeter wrote:
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

I've payed very close attention to Harvey's state of presumed death in the end, the second time I watched it. They never say Dent is dead. Gordon's exact phrasing when talking about Dent is in regards to presumed death of his reputation. When they speak of him in the very end, with his photos and whatnot, they never say he died. And also, a neat little tidbit that I missed the first time around is his coin. When Batman pushes him off that ledge and falls with him a couple stories down, Harvey's coin falls light side up.
Gassalasca Jape

So you've told me. But I still think such tricks are lame.
Dawngreeter wrote:
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

I don't think it's a trick necessarily. A friend of mine never even thought Harvey died. He gave me a weird look when I said I thought he was. I assume he's not the only one.

EDIT: Not the only one in regards to thinking Harvey didn't die, not in regards to giving me a weird look.
Shunka
Jožin z bažin

Post by Shunka »

It also occured to me that he might not be dead, but I sincerely hope he is.
Dawngreeter wrote:ima i toga
rekurzivno glupilo
90% svega je sranje, a to ukljucuje i preostalih 10%
Lord

Post by Lord »

I thought the movie was VERY awesome as well, and I was a bit disappointed how some people,
whom we shall not name, just discretely point our fingers at, fail to realize that awesomeness.

Maggie does seem very... strange in most of the scenes, I don't know, she looked like a burn victim
compared to how I remember her. But maybe it's just the lighting in the shots,
you know like Amidala in that scene from Episode 3 on the balcony at night.

I found the movie to be much better than Batman Begins, though I still find the ninjutsu thing very cool :)

There was no doubt in my mind at the end of the movie that Dent wasn't really dead,
although I did miss that coin falling on light side scene. And that calls for a third cinema visit.

What I did notice when I watched it for the second time, was that that guy who was breaking in the vault
at the beginning wore his shoes on his hand after the shock he got. I lol'd.

Ledger did an absolutely amazing job with Joker, and it is my theory that he made a deal with the Devil,
or some such demon. And we all know how he paid for it...

Edit: And oh yeah, the pen trick was the coolest thing ever!
I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings.
Sammael

Post by Sammael »

BTW, Rick, did you see it in IMAX?
Shunka
Jožin z bažin

Post by Shunka »

I film vise nije na prvom mestu imdb top-liste.
A nije ni Kum.
Nego Shawshank Redemption.
Dodjavola.
Mislim zbog Kuma. Nekako je dostojanstveno drzao to prvo mesto.
rekurzivno glupilo
Gassalasca Jape

Da, i ja to videh. moracu sad da gledam opet Shawshenk Redemption. Nije da nije sjajan, ali nisam siguran sto se ljudi toliko loze na njega. Mislim da je i ranije sve vreme bio uz Kuma...
Dawngreeter wrote:
Shunka
Jožin z bažin

Post by Shunka »

Shawshank Redemption se godinama malo po malo uspinjao uz listu. Kad sam prvi put poceo da obracam paznju na imdb iza Kuma je bio Return of the King.

A zasto se ljudi toliko loze? Pa film je, ultimativno, feel good.
rekurzivno glupilo
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Shunka wrote:feel good.
Mislis dobroosecajan? :D
Ko, jel' ja?

Post by Ko, jel' ja? »

Zašto misliš da su te liste iole relevantne?
Gassalasca Jape

Pretpostavicu da je pitanje bilo upuceno meni. Mislim da je lista relevantna samo pri procenjivanju sta publika misli, jer je to sto ona pokazuje. No, treba imati u vidu da nisu neke suse koje idu u bioskop da bi se povatali s cicom bez obzira koji je film na repertoaru. To su ljudi koji se cimaju redovno da idu na net i daju ocene filmovima koje gledaju (kao sto pise, lista je sastavljena samo od ocena redovnih clanova). Dakle u pitanju su, za ocekivati je, ljudi kojima film ipak nesto znaci. I mene zanima zasto ta grupa ljudi *toliko* ceni Shawshenk. Ne zasto ga mnogo ceni, vec zasto u bas tolikoj meri da bude u top 3.
Dawngreeter wrote:
Megabaja
Baja

Post by Megabaja »

zato sto smatraju da je bolji od ostalih filmova. bukvalno. zato glasaju za njega. 8)
Pamti, pa vrati...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

Pazi, vidi, kockica ima 6 strana, a terminator gine samo na 1... by Chomie
Dawngreeter

Post by Dawngreeter »

Tajna visoko rangiranih filmova nije u tome sto se mnogima svidjaju nego sto niko nema negativno misljenje o njemu.
(Kako bi ova recenica bila jednostavnija na engleskom gde nema milion negacija pa bi svidjaju-nesvidjaju mogao da koristim normalno)

Pojenta je, kako neko moze da ima lose misljenje o Shawshenk Redemption? Da je film sa bilo kakvo msnaznijom poentom, odjednom bi se nasle seronje koje imaju problema sa iskazivanjem stavova.
Gassalasca Jape

Kad tako kazes... ima odjednom nekog smisla. :mrgreen:
Dawngreeter wrote:
Shunka
Jožin z bažin

Post by Shunka »

Ko, jel' ja? wrote:Zašto misliš da su te liste iole relevantne?
Naravno da jesu relevantne. Da, u pitanju je popularity contest, ali niko nikada nije ni tvrdio suprotno.
I Dark Knight je nekoliko nedelja bio najpopularniji film svih vremena i naroda.
rekurzivno glupilo
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Isto sto DG rece vezano za Shawshenk Redemption vazi i za Dark Knight i za The Godfather.
Meditations of evolution increasingly vaster: of the moon invisible in incipient lunation, approaching perigee: ...of the procession of equinoxes: ...of the parallax or parallactic drift of socalled fixed stars, in reality evermoving from immeasurably remote eons to infinitely remote futures in comparison with which the years, threescore and ten, of alloted human life formed a parenthesis of infinitesimal brevity.

-Excerpt of meditations during demonstrations of various constellations; Ulysses
FGSerbia

Post by FGSerbia »

Didn't they perform a memorial for Harvey Dent at the end? Kind of suggests he was dead - unless they did that so no one would ever see his face and he's in Arkham with the Joker.
Ooh you conspiracy theorists you - now you've got me questioning....

Return to “Film”